Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Read, read & read a little more..



I remember when my 17 year old was once a toddler.  I would read out loud all the time to her.  All types of books.  Even when I doubted she understood much.  I would read all types of books.  In the morning, bedtime and in the library.  By three she could read most of our house books from memory and then she started sounding the words out.  And by 4 she was reading chapter books.
Ofcourse I had more time then and did not have 4 other children to look after.  But as years go by in Kose Homeschooling, I have learnt that not all kids like reading as a hobby.  I have had to set aside time each day for just reading.
I would never have to tell my eldest to read.  It was the best hobby for her.  But for my fifth child, I have had to make a cozy corner for book reading.  Just for her and me.  It took extra effort on my part.
Make reading fun and make the reading place enticing.  When your precious ones are young, keep reading to them.  When they are older, dedicate a time for just reading in the house when no electronics are used.
They will appreciate this once they are older.


No comments:

Post a Comment